Building up from Basic Starter…

Found out that the Service Auction has been moved up to Nov 1 instead of the 15th. That’s going to make it tight to keep an active starter going on top of my baseline. I’ve still got to type up my thoughts on sourdough and some instructions on how to keep a wet starter; on the counter and in the fridge.

Anyway I took my backup starter out of the fridge and let it warm up. It was so active that it rose and collapsed while in the fridge. I think it was there about a week already. I had placed it on the bottom shelf so it wouldn’t freeze. I’ve got a mean fridge so much so that my eggs stay frozen. So at noon I took the starter which was about a cup’s worth and added a cup of flour and a half cup of warm water and stirred good. It was the consistency of a very wet dough where the gluten was just starting to form. I left on the counter covered and when I came back, around 5pm it had already rose up and was very airy. One shake and it collapsed. After stirring it, I made my basic starter (1/4 C starter, 1 C flour, & 3/4 C warm water) and used the rest, approx. 1 1/2 C starter to start making the sponge. I added 1 1/2 C flour and 1/2 cup warm water. Consistency was again like a wet dough just forming it’s gluten and starting to peel off the bowl. I’m going to let this rest and rise overnight.

Hopefully, tomorrow morning I’ll have a nice sponge so can I work on a few loaves and maybe a round. I still haven’t found a favored loaf recipe. I’d like to tackle a Whole Wheat loaf as I’ve got about half a bag left.